Portsmouth Cathedral Notices: Sunday 23rd July 2017
After nearly four years of planning, several designs and careful design work we are shortly to install our new West End trumpets.
This a truly fitting way to mark the 25th Anniversary of the Completion of the Nave and the building of the West Front. For those who have not been able to follow the design process, we are also now able to enhance our Nicholson organ in the way it was originally conceived.
When Sir Frederick Gore Ouseley was designing the organ for Manchester Cathedral he made a trip to Toledo, Spain. He was inspired by the ‘en-chamade’ Spanish trumpets – both visually and acoustically – and incorporated them in the design proposal for the 1861 Nicholson organ. The Chapter of Manchester shied away from the proposal, preferring to keep the envisioned sound but to hide the trumpets away within the case.
When the organ was moved to Portsmouth in 1996, this solo reed was placed just above the player’s head, which unfortunately made it impossible to hear in the Nave. When the new West Great was added in 2001 there were insufficient funds to include a solo stop but the aspiration that one day a trumpet or similar solo stop would be added remained.
Thank you so much to all of you who have kindly contributed towards the cost of this project, many in memory of loved ones. We hope to unveil a commemorative plaque and inscribed book at the first concert at which the Trumpets will he played on Saturday 30 September at 6.30pm.
Dr David Price
Organist and Master of the Choristers
- The Revd Dawn Banting is with the Army Training Regiment at Winchester this morning. The Revd Amy Webb Assistant Curate St John, Locks Heath is with us on post-ordination placement.
- Welcome to Saint John Singers leading the music at our services today.
- University of Portsmouth Faculty of Architecture Exhibition of alternative flood defence schemes for Portsmouth is on display in the Ambulatory.
- Services and Events The List giving details of services, including visiting choirs whilst the Cathedral Choirs are on holiday, and our monthly Events Listing are both available on the website or to pick up in the Cathedral.
- Cathedral Staff We aredelighted to announce the selection of Mr Sachin Gunga as successor to Oliver Hancock from January 2018. He is presently Assistant at Wakefield Cathedral and a former chorister of Derby Cathedral.
- Friends of Portsmouth Cathedral The 2017 yearbook has been posted to members. If you would like to know more about membership of the Friends please pick up a leaflet or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cathedral Shop If you would be interested in joining the team of volunteers in the Cathedral Shop please speak to our Finance Officer, Nicky Taylor 023 9289 2965 or email email@example.com.
- Parking At weekends, and on weekday evenings, the St George’s Building (St Thomas’s Street) and Ravelin car parks are operated as pay and display for £2 per day.
- Pantomime Lunch The 12th annual Pantomime Lunch will be held atAbarbistro on Friday, 22nd September, as we once again support the EC Roberts Centre and give some of the children a wonderful time at the Kings Theatre with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. To celebrate the centre’s 30th anniversary we will be delighted to receive donations, from any who will not be joining us at the lunch, which will go the children’s Christmas party. Ticket enquiries to Gerry Chilton.
- Jam Making It is now the season for jam and conserve making so please think about making some for our Christmas Fair on Saturday 2nd December.
- Community Groups Tuesday Lunch Club meets on Tuesday and then breaks for the summer until the first week of September. Our weekly Wednesday Toddler Group starts again in the first week of Wednesday.
- Do-Something-Different Days Fun, food, and friendship for older people in Portsmouth. All between 10.00am-3.30pm. Tuesday 1st August at All Saints Church, Commercial Road; Thursday 10th August at St George’s Church, Gunwharf; Tuesday 15th August at St Luke’s Church, Greetham Street; Wednesday 23rd August at St Mary’s Church, Fratton. All days cost £5.00 (payable on the day) to include activities, refreshments, and lunch. Places must be booked through the Older Persons Advocate, firstname.lastname@example.org or 07710 394351.
- Living Faith Course – Module 6 Challenging Choices Christian Ethics Bookings for the revised and improved discipleship course are now being taken for the September 2017 term. The course is tailored for anyone wishing to learn more about Christianity, an ideal follow-up to the Bishop’s Foundation Course or as preparation for theological and vocational training. If you know of anyone who might benefit from the course, please encourage them to enrol http://bit.ly/2t7tdjW.
- Fundraising Whilst most of the members of the choirs and Music Department are on holiday some are in training for a Tough Mudder on 19th August to raise funds for Prostate Cancer. They can be sponsored through http://bit.ly/2tYKLPe.
- Portsmouth and Hampshire Arts Society Art exhibition Saturday 29th July-Friday 11th August. Annual exhibition and sale of original art work in the Nave.
- ‘All Things Bright and Beautiful’ Our Annual Theme exploring ecology and the environment through science, faith, and the arts:
- Family Activity Day 10.00am to 3.00pm Thursday 17th August. Come along and join in with our craft activities based on our Cathedral Annual Theme. At 1.00pm, we will screen the film WALL.E. Spend just a couple of hours or the whole day with us. Bring a packed lunch to eat on the Cathedral Green. Children must be accompanied by an adult – £3 per child.
PLEASE PRAY FOR
- All those in need including: Martin, Jill, Brian, Tim, Graeme and Alex.
- And those who have died: Geoffrey Rowell (Bishop), Sylvia Sanders, Walter Walden, and Dr Martin Randle. RIP.