Portsmouth Cathedral notices: Sunday 30th July 2017
As the Cathedral enters August, it is typically a quieter month. Groups close down for ‘the summer’! Some people manage to get away. Others remain, to enjoy the weather here!
For some, it can be a tricky and lonely time. Children can play but there are those who lack a decent meal now schools are out, or friends nearby to play with, so some churches set up summer projects to engage them and feed them.
It is notable that sadly foodbanks show increased use over the summer holidays. We continue to collect food for the foodbanks at the Roberts Centre and All Saints Drop In (collecting boxes in the Cloister), please do help with this over the summer if you can.
So it is a great time for some, but not for all. There are those who will carry on and work throughout, perhaps taking the opportunity to work in a seasonal job, to enable others to enjoy themselves.
As we are challenged this week by Jesus’ parables about seeds, nests, treasures, and righteousness, it is a good moment to stop, and take a moment to consider more proactively what we are doing for the next few weeks, and with some intentionality seek out those who need refreshment, as well as find ways to take stock and refresh ourselves.
Where does our heart’s treasure lie? Whether we take moments in the Cathedral, amongst the music, the art or the quiet, time on the beach or having fun, time with friends and family, or time with others, we need to look after ourselves so that we can also better look after one another, especially those in need, and it is good to appreciate, and share, the gifts we have been given.
Canon Nick Ralph
- Welcome to Peterborough Chamber Choir leading the music at our services today.
- Refreshments From today until the end of August, thanks to our volunteers, homemade lemonade will be served outside the Cathedral after the 10.30am Eucharist.
- Portsmouth and Hampshire Arts Society Art exhibition until Friday 11th August. Annual exhibition and sale of original art work in the Nave
- Services and Events The List giving details of services, including visiting choirs whilst the Cathedral Choirs are on holiday, and our monthly Events Listing are both available on the website or to pick up in the Cathedral.
- Cathedral Staff We aredelighted to announce the selection of Mr Sachin Gunga as successor to Oliver Hancock from January 2018. He is presently Assistant at Wakefield Cathedral and a former chorister of Derby Cathedral.
- Friends of Portsmouth Cathedral The 2017 yearbook has been posted to members. If you would like to know more about membership of the Friends please pick up a leaflet or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cathedral Shop If you would be interested in joining the team of volunteers in the Cathedral Shop please speak to our Finance Officer, Nicky Taylor 023 9289 2965 or email email@example.com.
- Parking At weekends, and on weekday evenings, the St George’s Building (St Thomas’s Street) and Ravelin car parks are operated as pay and display for £2 per day.
- Do-Something-Different Days Fun, food, and friendship for older people in Portsmouth. All between 10.00am-3.30pm. Tuesday 1st August at All Saints Church, Commercial Road; Thursday 10th August at St George’s Church, Gunwharf; Tuesday 15th August at St Luke’s Church, Greetham Street; Wednesday 23rd August at St Mary’s Church, Fratton. All days cost £5.00 (payable on the day) to include activities, refreshments, and lunch. Places must be booked through the Older Persons Advocate, firstname.lastname@example.org or 07710 394351.
- Pantomime Lunch The 12th annual Pantomime Lunch will be held atAbarbistro on Friday, 22nd September, as we once again support the EC Roberts Centre and give some of the children a wonderful time at the Kings Theatre with Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. To celebrate the centre’s 30th anniversary we will be delighted to receive donations, from any who will not be joining us at the lunch, which will go towards the children’s Christmas party. Ticket enquiries to Gerry Chilton.
- Jam Making It is now the season for jam and conserve making so please think about making some for our Christmas Fair on Saturday 2nd December.
- Community Groups The Lunch Club, Toddler Group and Craft and Chat are on summer break until the first week of September.
- Living Faith Course – Module 6 Challenging Choices Christian Ethics Bookings for the revised and improved discipleship course are now being taken for the September 2017 term. The course is tailored for anyone wishing to learn more about Christianity, an ideal follow-up to the Bishop’s Foundation Course or as preparation for theological and vocational training. If you know of anyone who might benefit from the course, please encourage them to enrol http://bit.ly/2t7tdjW.
- Fundraising Whilst most of the members of the choirs and Music Department are on holiday some are in training for a Tough Mudder on 19th August to raise funds for Prostate Cancer. They can be sponsored through http://bit.ly/2tYKLPe.
- Family Activity Day 10.00am to 3.00pm Thursday 17th August. Come along and join in with our craft activities based on our Cathedral Annual Theme, ‘All Things Bright and Beautiful’ Our Annual Theme exploring ecology and the environment through science, faith, and the arts. At 1.00pm, we will screen the film WALL.E. Spend just a couple of hours or the whole day with us. Bring a packed lunch to eat on the Cathedral Green. Children must be accompanied by an adult – £3 per child.
- Recitals and Concerts Lunchtime Live, our weekly recital series starts again on Thursday 7th September. The first of a new Evening Organ Concert Series will be given by Gordon Stewart, Resident Organist, Huddersfield Town Hall at 6.30pm on Saturday 30th September during our Patronal Festival. The series celebrates the completion of the 1861 Nicholson Organ and the unveiling of the Cathedral’s new en-chamade ‘Trompete de Maris’ which will be installed at the end of August.
PLEASE PRAY FOR
- All those in need including: Martin, Jill, Brian, Tim, Graeme and Alex.
- And those who have died: Walter Walden, and Martin Randle (Cathedral Memorial Service Tuesday 1st August, 2pm) RIP.